Prison island tour in Zanzibar is an half day tour, Prison island is also known as Changuu island, the name "prison island" came after this unique island being used by some sultans of Zanzibar to detain the recalcitrant slaves, about 25 to 30 minutes boat ride (motorised)
The island was once used by an Arab slave trader to contain the more troublesome slaves he had brought from the African mainland to prevent their escape before shipping them to the Arabian purchasers, or for auctioning in Zanzibar slave trade market. The slaves were dumped on the island.
- Itinerary Program:It involves visiting Prison Island also known as the Changuu Island lies about 30 minutes by boat from the Zanzibar Island
- Focus: It’s designed for people residing in Zanzibar and wants to have safari experience within a short time.
- Duration In Days: 1
- Itinerary Category: Beach Holiday
- Destinations: Zanzibar (Prison Island)
- Major Attractions: The Island was used as a Slave Market. Also is now occupied by giant tortoises. You can explore this beautiful island, which is an ideal place for a walk and on a relaxing day excursion. The view of Stone Town from the Island is breathtaking especially at night.
- Guiding Language:English, Spanish, French, German, Italian,
- Start Point: Zanzibar
- End Point:Zanzibar
- Essential Items: Digital Camera with enough memory space and extra batteries, binoculars, light clothes, safari boot, mosquito repellents, sunhat, sunglasses with ultraviolet radiation filtering etc.
- Main Activities:Visiting Ancient slaves market place and also watching giant tortoises which a found at Prison Island.